Sunday, June 8, 2014

Feeding on the Word of God - the Holy Spirit

John 14:16-17 “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.”

The Holy Spirit & the Trinitarian God
As we celebrate Pentecost Sunday, let us try to leave behind the images of the Holy Spirit manifested as a dove, as tongues of fire, or as ‘breath’. Not that these images are ‘wrong’, but let us try to contemplate the Russian orthodox icon by Andrey Rublev who depicts the Holy Trinity as 3 persons looking at each other in ‘communion’.
This icon (also known as “Hospitality of Abraham”) was inspired by the appearance of the 3 angels who visited Abraham and prophesised that his wife Sarah would bear a son. [Genesis 18:1-14] These 3 angels who visited Abraham in the Old Testament were interpreted to be the 3 Persons of God, and Rublev’s icon became a most important image visually depicting the Trinitarian God as three distinct Persons yet the same One God.


Some years ago, I read a booklet that explained the meaning and symbolism of the 3 men in this icon and my concept of the Holy Spirit was altered forever. I became more aware of relating to the Holy Spirit as a Person who journeys with me in my daily life (a.k.a. Paraclete), a Person who dwells within me, and a Person who carries out the work of the Father after the Ascension of Jesus.
This icon also reminds me that God is a ‘community’, and so in wanting to imitate God, I cannot live my faith life alone. I also like how the empty space in front of the chalice invites us to partake of this meal with God. It is like an open invitation from God to join in His divine life, to be loved by Him, and to sit down and chillax with Him. This is especially poignant for me as I am aware that in my own busy and independent lifestyle, I hardly spend any time eating with others. In actual fact, I hardly spend any time intentionally sitting down for a meal without doing something else simultaneously (checking emails, watching TV, replying Whatsapp messages etc). I guess, in the same way, I hardly leave any time to spend a meal with God too.
So perhaps, that should be our reflection this week:
·         Do I / have I intentionally spent time with God or my loved ones?
·         Do I desire to be part of this ‘Divine community’ and grow my relationship with God?
·         What is my response to the Lord’s invitation through this icon?

I invite you to spend some time to ask the Holy Spirit to be present in your quiet time, look carefully at the icon, and be open to the Lord’s promptings.
John 14:26-27 “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.”

For further reading:
Official Catechism on the Holy Spirit ARTICLE 8 "I BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT"http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2c3a8.htm
From EWTN’s article of Rublev’s icon:“Rublev's Trinity is not only an unsurpassed work of Russian iconography, it is also a first-class figurative "theology of the Trinity". It instructs the faithful and non-believers alike that the revelation of the triune God is one of unity in Divine Essence and trinity in Divine Personhood. Given its rich theological symbolism it is not surprising that the Roman Church has established this image as the model for explaining Trinitarian doctrine and inspiring devotion towards the mystery of the inner life of God.

The depiction of the Trinity as three identical figures remains rare in Christian art given that theology ascribes to each Divine Person distinct attributes, namely, to the Father, creation; to the Son,redemption, and to the Holy Spirit, sanctification. Rublev's icon is, however, more precise in expressing the concept of a God who is in Essence one and in Persons three. It illustrates the Church's term for the numerical Unity of God's Essence — (cf. Nicaea I, 325 AD) which seeks to explain the doctrine of the Trinity and reaffirm the principle of the Father and Son as "of one being" (or consubstantialem). This is the essence of Trinitarian theology and also the mystery of the internal life of God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment