Saturday, May 31, 2014

Feeding on the Word of God - Mary, Spouse of the Holy Spirit

Mary, the Spouse of the Holy Spirit

And Mary said: ‘My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord and my spirit exults in God my saviour’ (Lk 1:46-47)

“The Blessed Virgin Mary was the only one who merited to be called the Mother and Spouse of God.” (St Augustine)

She became the Mother of God because she was the Spouse of the Holy Spirit: “The Holy Spirit shall come upon you, and the power of the Most High shall overshadow you” (Lk 1:35)

“The most glorious Virgin, Our Lady never had the form of any creature imprinted on her soul, and was never moved by any creature, but her actions were always inspired by the Holy Spirit.” (Ascent of Mt Carmel, III, 2,10, St John of the Cross)

Filled with grace from her conception, Mary is always the faithful Spouse of the Holy Spirit, attentive and docile to all His impulses and inspirations. If Mary’s sublime privileges are reserved for her alone, we can, nevertheless, imitate her interior dispositions by keeping out heart, in imitation of hers, always attentive and docile to the action of the Holy Spirit.

We must conclude that she was ever growing in grace, and that charity in her became a veritable abyss. Charity dilates the soul, that is may pour out on others the wealth it has accumulated.

Such is the characteristic of Mary’s charity. Her recollection did not hinder her from giving attention to her neighbor; on the contrary we see her always gracious and attentive to the needs of others. Furthermore, her own interior wealth urged her to desire to share with others the great treasures which she possessed. This is the attitude described in the Gospel, when immediately after the Annunciation, she undertook a journey “In haste”, as St Luke says, to visit Elizabeth. It would have been very pleasant for her to remain at Nazareth, adoring in solitude and silence the divine Word incarnate in her womb, but the Angel had told her of the imminent maternity of her aged cousin; this was enough for her to feel obliged to go Elizabeth and offer her humble services. We can say, therefore, that Mary’s first act after becoming the Mother of God was an act of charity towards her neighbor. “One who loves God, loves all that God loves.” (St Thomas Aquinas)

Reflection:
·         Do the blessings I receive from God make me grow in love for him and for my neighbor?
·         If I have received the gifts of the Holy Spirit, am I using them to serve people I come across? In what ways can I do so?
·         Do I ask for Our Lady’s intercession in being obedient to the promptings of the Holy Spirit?

Prayer:
‘It is true, O Mary, that on the day of my baptism the Holy Spirit diffused His charity in me, but my self-love has halted its growth, and I, who have so little love for my God, have likewise very little love for my neighbor. O most loving Mother, see how I need to have my heart dilated with charity! Stir up, then, and nourish that virtue in me and grant that, having given myself to the service of God, I may also give myself to that of my neighbor, with kindness and humility, promptness and generosity. Amen!’

Let us cry out with joy in the same words by Mary’s cousin Elizabeth: “Why should I be honoured with a visit from the mother of my Lord?’ Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment